The Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is pleased to announce the Dr. Vernell A. Lillie Arts Scholarship for College Students, 2019.
Download the application HERE
The Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. continues its annual arts scholarship to encourage students of color to pursue education and careers in the arts by providing tuition assistance or arts supplies, tools and/or equipment assistance to those pursuing a post-secondary education in the arts at the college/university level or an equivalent.
The deadline for complete Scholarship Applications is Friday, February 08, 2019.
The Dr. Vernell A. Lillie Arts Scholarship ($1500, a minimum of three will be awarded)
For the purpose of this scholarship, the arts are defined to encompass vocal and instrumental music education, performance, music theory, composition, visual arts, art history, art education, design, graphic design, creative writing, drama, theatre arts, new media, film studies, dance and photography.
Criteria: Successful applicants meet the following eligibility requirements.
- An appropriate scholarship applicant is devoted, committed to the arts and talented in the arts area of choice.
- Applicants must be students of color attending a Pittsburgh area college or university and residing in Allegheny County. The applicant should currently have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.8.
- All applicants will be considered for these scholarships. An appropriate applicant is a student of color who is pursuing a post-secondary education in one of the arts with a desire to pursue a career in the arts after graduation from an arts school, college or university. Arts schools, colleges or universities must be accredited educational institutions located in Allegheny County.
- Applicants who meet these criteria and wish to be considered for this scholarship must:
- complete the attached application form,
- provide an official transcript and
- submit two letters of reference: one from an arts instructor (or two) familiar with them as arts students and one familiar with their character and potential as an arts professional.
Duration and Payment: The award is given once. It is a one-time award for college level students. Scholarship checks are paid directly to the recipient. The student receiving the scholarship will be required to provide the Arts and Letters Selection Committee the following before the actual check is issued:
- official enrollment verification for the 2019fall term, for example, a paid invoice from the school, college or university, and
- evidence of thank you letters written to Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and all sponsors of the arts scholarship event, such as Highmark, Inc. and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, before the actual check is issued.
Evidence of all of the above must be received on or before September 30, 2019.
Awards: The awards are based on relevant experience, achievement in chosen field, academic potential, commitment to the field, and overall impression as they relate to the scholarship criteria. The Arts and Letters Selection Committee of Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. will review applications from students and reserves the right to distribute no funding if there are insufficient applicants or the applicants do not meet standards of acceptability as judged by the appointed review committee. A personal interview may be requested from scholarship finalists.
Restrictions: Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. reserves the right to withdraw an award if
- the student recipient does not continue enrollment in an arts-related degree program at an accredited higher education institution in the 2019 fall term,
- if any of the application information is determined to be false, or
- the student recipient fails to submit evidence of fall 2019 enrollment in a college/university to Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. on or before September 30, 2019.
- The application form must be fully completed.
- The letters of reference must be completed by two arts educators familiar with you as an arts student on the form and returned by Friday, February 8, 2019.
- An official transcript, one that identifies your GPA (grade point average) must be attached to the application.
- The application form, official transcript and letters of reference must be received as
Applications, official transcript and letters of reference should be mailed to:
Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
c/o Arts Scholarship
Post Office Box 99383
Pittsburgh, PA 15233
and must be postmarked by Friday, February 8, 2019. Application and official transcript may not be submitted electronically.
Notification: All applicants will receive written notification regarding their application.
Questions?: Contact Imogene Hines via email at email@example.com from December 3, 2018 through February 7, 2019
DEADLINE: Friday, February 8, 2019