The Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is pleased to announce the Dr. Vernell A. Lillie Arts Scholarship for High School Seniors, 2019.
Download the application HERE
The Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. continues its annual arts scholarship to encourage high school seniors to pursue education and careers in the arts by providing tuition assistance or arts supplies, tools and/or equipment assistance to those planning to pursue a post-secondary education in the arts at the college level or an equivalent.
The deadline for complete Scholarship Applications is Friday, February 8, 2019.
The Dr. Vernell A. Lillie Arts Scholarship ($1500, at least three will be awarded)
For this scholarship, the arts are defined to encompass vocal and instrumental music education, performance, music theory, composition, visual arts, art history, arts education, graphic arts, design, creative writing, drama, theatre arts, new media, film studies, dance, choreography, and photography.
Criteria: Successful applicants meet the following eligibility requirements.
- An appropriate scholarship applicant is devoted, committed to the arts and artistically/musically talented.
- Applicants must be high school seniors of color attending a Pittsburgh area high school residing in Allegheny County. More than one student per household may be eligible, but separate applications should be completed. The applicant should emerge from high school in the top third (33%) of the graduating class with a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.80.
- All applicants will be considered for these scholarships. An appropriate applicant is a student of color who intends to pursue a post-secondary education in one of the arts with a desire to pursue a career in the arts after graduation from an arts school, college or university. Arts schools, colleges or universities must be accredited educational institutions located in the United States.
- Applicants who meet these criteria and wish to be considered for this scholarship must:
- complete the attached application form,
- provide an official transcript, and
- submit two letters of reference from two educators, one must be an arts educator familiar with them as arts students.
Duration and Payment: The award is given once. It is a one-time award for senior high school students. Scholarship checks are paid directly to the recipient. The student receiving the
scholarship will be required to provide the Arts and Letters Selection Committee the following before the actual check is issued:
- an official enrollment verification for the 2019 fall term, for example, a paid invoice from the school, college or university,
- evidence of a thank you letter or card written to Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and
- evidence of thank you letters or cards written to all sponsors of the arts scholarship event, such as the Housing Authority, Hallmark, Inc. and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, before the actual check is issued.
Awards: The awards are based on relevant experience, achievement in chosen field, academic potential, commitment to the field, and overall impression as they relate to the scholarship criteria. The Arts and Letters Selection Committee of Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. will review applications from students and reserves the right to distribute no funding if there are insufficient applicants or the applicants do not meet standards of acceptability as judged by the appointed review committee.
Restrictions: Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. reserves the right to withdraw an award if
- the student does not enroll in an arts-related degree program at an accredited higher education institution by the beginning of the fall term 2017, or
- if any of the application information is determined to be false, or
- the student fails to submit evidence of fall 2019 enrollment in a college/university to Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. on or before September 30, 2019.
- The application form (which can be downloaded HERE) must be fully completed.
- The letters of reference must be completed by two educators, one must be an arts educator familiar with you as an arts student on the form and returned by Friday, February 8, 2019.
- An official transcript, one that identifies your GPA (grade point average) and class rank must be attached to the application.
- The application form and letters of reference must be received as hard copies.
Applications and letters of reference should be mailed to:
Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
c/o Arts Scholarship
Post Office Box 99383
Pittsburgh, PA 15233
and must be received by Friday, February 8, 2019.. Application and official transcript must be submitted by USPS mail.
Notification: All applicants will receive written notification regarding their application.
Questions?: Contact Marsha Thomas via email at email@example.com from December 3, 2018 through February 8, 2019.
DEADLINE: Friday, February 8, 2019.